The National Historical Geographic Information System (NHGIS) provides free online access to summary statistics and GIS boundary files for U.S. censuses and other nationwide surveys from 1790 through the present.
Through the NHGIS Data Finder, users may:
- Filter and sort through thousands of available tables and boundary files
- Select and download multiple tables and boundary files, for different geographic levels and from different years, all in one request
NHGIS does not provide tools for data analysis, mapping, or reporting. Rather, NHGIS supplies data files designed for use in spreadsheet applications (e.g., Microsoft Excel), statistical software (e.g., Stata, SPSS, SAS, R), or GIS applications (e.g., Esri ArcGIS).
Most NHGIS data files cover all areas in the United States. Data files for census blocks and block groups are available for individual states.
NHGIS is managed by the Minnesota Population Center at the University of Minnesota and funded by grants from the National Science Foundation and the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.
- Counties and states since 1790
- Census tracts since 1910
- Metropolitan areas since 1950
- Places and county subdivisions since 1980
- All standard census reporting areas since 1990
- SABINS school attendance areas (2009-10, 2010-11, & 2011-12 school years)
- Statistics from all decennial censuses and the American Community Survey
- County and state tables since 1790
- Census tract tables since 1910
- Tables for all original census summary levels, down to census blocks, since 1970
- County Business Patterns data (annual, 1970-2002)
- Agricultural census data (1840-1950)
- Religious bodies data (1850-1952)
- Manufacturing census data (1840-1940)
- 2010 Census data for SABINS school attendance areas
Time series tables
- Comparable statistics from multiple censuses linked together with standardized categories and codes for all years
- More information available here